Job Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Date: January 1, 2024
The Director of Communications at Redeemer Downtown (RDT) oversees all external and internal communications for the church. As part of the Executive Leadership Team, this is a strategic hire that will enable us to embody and invite others into our vision to be a community experiencing renewal by the Gospel, raising up generations of disciples, living for Jesus in the city.
Strategy and Brand Management:
- Serve as gatekeeper for Redeemer Downtown’s visual identity, branding and style guide, providing regular feedback and training to all staff creating content for their ministry areas and departments
- Develop and maintain a set of guidelines for interacting with followers to build connections among congregants in the digital space
- Oversee and execute an annual multi-faceted strategic communication plan for both an internal audience (congregation) as well as an external audience (greater NYC)
- Develop and execute PR strategy, identifying new channels to promote the church's ‘gospel engaging culture’ content
- Develop a communications strategy (digital and print) to disseminate Redeemer Downtown’s distinctive ‘gospel engaging culture’ content into the city and, in time, across the US, and the globe. This content distribution would focus both on discipleship resources for Christians and resources to engage those who aren’t Christians.
- Serve as gatekeeper and editor for all church-wide communications via emails, pastoral letters from the Senior Pastor and other pastors, congregational meetings, and oversight of social media and the redeemerdt.com website
- Serve as super admin on the Brand Management Software system, ensuring all brand assets and templates remain up-to-date and used effectively by the RDT team
- Manage Communications Specialist as they work with all ministry departments to ensure ministry-specific communications and design collateral while adhering to the communication guidelines of RDT and the individual departments
- Serve on the Executive Leadership Team as RDT’s resident communications expert
- Manage the Communications Specialist to implement Sunday service communications (ads, bulletins, slides, announcements, posted signage, etc.), general maintenance of RDT platforms (website using CMS, Webflow, and app), general church-wide emails, event assets and collateral, social media content production and posting, graphic design, photography, print, and video
- Manage and lead the creation and implementation of a new app for congregants
- Work with in-house IC graphic designer to create branding for all church-wide events and large strategic initiatives.
- Oversee and manage the creation of the annual ministry report (similar to an annual report) and congregational meeting slide decks
- Manage the Redeemer Downtown website, including online demand generation through SEO and SEM, building new webpages as needed, and doing regular personal training in Webflow University
- Oversee all media projects, including storyboarding, photo, video, social content, script creation, etc.
- Develop a paid advertising social strategy to reach new new potential markets
- TouchPoint database power-user regarding communications, including building and editing email templates for all dept. and ministries and providing employees with training
- Bachelor's degree in advertising, journalism, communications, creative writing, related field or equivalent training/experience
- 5 to 7 years of experience in a communications role, 3 years as senior
- Previous management experience
- Strong understanding of social and media marketing, website technology, and CMS
- Strong creative abilities and previous design experience
- Experience with and basic understanding of web development
- Strong ability to write or edit delicate or sensitive copy
- Strong ability to work on multiple projects, people, and deadlines in a fast-paced, gracious, and joyful environment
- Ability to maintain sensitive information
- Previous Executive Leadership experience a plus
- Strong project management, organization, and time management skills
- Superb ability to take an idea from concept to completion.
- Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with contractors (i.e. video, photo, graphic
design) and keep them on task
- Ability to effectively communicate with key stakeholders both internally and externally
- Background working in a non-profit/ministry/church organization a plus
- Strong alignment with Redeemer Downtown’s mission, vision, values, tone, and brand
- Flexible and adaptable with a strong bent towards innovation and a fail fast mentality;
open to receiving and giving feedback and must have a positive and humble attitude.
- Excellent teamwork skills and able to work in a highly collaborative environment across
- Deep understanding of the culture of urban, family-centered, twenty and
thirty-something professionals, and ministers with the ability to view all communications
with an outward face that prioritizes evangelism
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Redeemer family of churches and ministries exist to help build a great city for all people through a movement of the gospel that brings personal conversion, community formation, social justice, and cultural renewal to New York City and, through it, the world.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)