Pay Rate: $22 - $28/hr
Hours Worked: 4 hrs per week on Sundays, 8:30am - 12:30pm
Create a gospel-centered, loving environment for families and children of Redeemer Downtown; teach nursery/preschool classes which meet each week on Sunday mornings at The Salvation Army Executive Building. This includes helping with setup and teardown, teaching, and being a
friendly and consistent face for Redeemer Downtown children and their families.
- The Sunday Children’s Ministry Staff Teacher is responsible for preparing and teaching the Sunday lesson to the PreK (Three & Four Year Olds) & Two Year Old’s Classroom, as well as, delivering a mini scripture lesson to the One-Year Old’s Class.
- Prior to Sunday review lesson, scripture memory verse and craft in order to be prepared to teach each Sunday lesson to Children’s Ministry classes as determined by the Director of Children’s Ministry (or Children’s Ministry Staff).
- Facilitate scripture memory, lead prayer for the children and assist with the day’s craft that coincides with the lesson.
- Attend weekly Staff & Volunteer meeting each Sunday at 9:20am in Railton Hall.
- Be prepared to play with the children on the floor, assist with taking children to the bathroom with additional staff/ volunteers within the guidelines of the Redeemer Downtown Children’s Ministry Policy & Procedures.
- Spearhead classroom set-up (including toys, coloring tables, snacks and sanitize all items) prior to Staff and Volunteer meeting that begins at 9:20am each Sunday morning.
- Set-up snack and water prior to the beginning of check-in (9:30am) for children and families (and assist with clean up alongside weekly Volunteers).
- Take attendance for Primary classroom you are assigned to - ensuring that all security tags and name tags are collected at time of pick-up.
- Facilitate and support class volunteers.
- Be the teaching lead of the curriculum with support from other Sunday staff and volunteers. Teach the lessons in a gospel-centered and biblical way.
- Spearhead classroom breakdown & finish clean up and organization of supplies (i.e. maintain detailed labels on bins, reorganize bins as needed, inform Children’s Ministry Staff if inventory is in need of being replenished).
- Inform supervisor when replacement toys, equipment or new bins are needed.
- Maintain basic supplies for each room (wipes & gloves, hand sanitizer or sanitary hand-wipes, paper towels, crayons, drawing paper).
- Check the classroom for supplies, stray toys and posters that were not put away during classroom clean-up time.
- Place forgotten belongings on the folding table between exit doors of Railton Hall and inform the Early Childhood Coordinator and/or Children’s Ministry Director.
- Must be available on Sundays from 8:30AM to 12:30PM on Sundays
- Arrive on time each Sunday
- Attend mandatory training sessions each year to review policies & procedures and build community as volunteers so the children at Redeemer Downtown are served safely and effectively.
- Give at least 2 weeks notice prior to being absent. If ill, please notify the Children’s Ministry Director or Early Childhood Coordinator as soon as possible.
- No more than 6 absences per year (including sick days).
- Work on Easter plus at least one Sunday during the winter holidays (around Christmas/New Year's). Candidate can ideally work Sunday before and/or after Christmas/New Year’s.
- A commitment to serve at least one year from start date.
- Must pass RDT’s background check and reference check.
- Heart for God, families and children.
- Need to embrace RDT’s vision and have a gospel-oriented heart for New York City.
- Experience in teaching or babysitting nursery, preschool or elementary children.
- Must be a team player and have character qualities such as integrity, wisdom and good judgment.
- Must be punctual and responsible.
- Warm and engaging personality that is welcoming to parents and children, especially those children who may have difficulty separating from their parents.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Redeemer family of churches and ministries exist to help build a great city for all people through a movement of the gospel that brings personal conversion, community formation, social justice, and cultural renewal to New York City and, through it, the world.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)